Zero TB infection, zero discrimination and zero TB deaths
Dr P N Ngebulana-Boltina, Head Health Unit reports on the TB Imbizo and Employee Wellness Day Launch held on 13th April 2013 which was very beneficial.
According to the Government Clinic Records Rholihlahla Area has the most deaths from PTB in the Missionvale and Port Elizabeth areas.
Clients come for help in the advanced stage of the disease. The reason for hosting a TB Imbizo is to get community participation to understand why clients seek help late, and for the community ,in partnership with the Missionvale Clinic and Missionvale Care Centre, to come up with practical solutions for the problems identified.
There was very good participation from community members. They points noted:
- Community members must immediately come to the clinic when they feel the symptoms of PTB.
- The importance of educating the community to change their lifestyle and improve health behaviour at individual, family and community levels.
- Support group for chronically ill members of community to be established in their area.
- Health Promotion on HIV/AIDS and TB to be intensified in the area, especially in the shack area.
- Community Health Practitioners assist with treatment support for TB patients and patients on chronic medication.