Home Based Care Refresher Training, Mariannhill
Kabelo Huma and Nondumiso Jwara from the SACBC AIDS Office were in Mariannhill from 26-29 March 2012 for the Home Based Care Refresher Training conducted by Hospice Palliative Care Association. In attendance were 31 Caregivers. Ten from Ithembalethu Outreach Project (Estcourt) and 21 from Mariannhill Diocese AIDS Program. Bishop Dlungwane was very grateful for the training. He presented the participants with certificates of Attendance on the 29th March 2012.
The training covered the following topics:
- Health Care System: HIV and AIDS; TB knowledge; Role of Community Care Workers; Importance of Home Care and the advantages of a good referral system.
- Body Systems: their functions; common health problems and treatment of those health problems.
- Basics of Palliative Care: Definition; Scenario development and Psychosocial aspects.
- Incorporating Palliative care into Basic nursing care in the home: Assessing the client and his/her needs; Pain Management; Symptom Control; Role of reporting and importance of referral.
- Dealing with Common illnesses: Vital signs; Infection control; improvisation in resource-poor settings.
- Childhood illnesses: Common Childhood illnesses; Road to Health; IMCI; PMTCT; Nutrition in Children and hygiene.
- Treatment Adherence: ART; TB Treatment; Adherence monitoring and support.
- Introduction to CFC: Identifying personal strengths and weaknesses; spiritual care techniques.