Home Based Care Refresher training in King Williams Town, 07-10 May 2012
Kabelo Huma & Nondumiso Jwara were in King Williams town from 07-10 May 2012 for the Home Based Care Refresher Training conducted by Mrs Gloria Duba of Hospice Palliative Care Association. In attendance were 29 Caregivers. Ten from Sithembele Awareness Program (Mthatha) and 19 from King Williams Town AIDS Office.
The training covered the following topics:
- Health Care System: HIV and AIDS; TB knowledge; Role of Community Care Workers; Importance of Home Care and the advantages of a good referral system.
- Body Systems: their functions; common health problems and treatment of those health problems.
- Basics of Palliative Care: Definition; Scenario development and Psychosocial aspects.
- Incorporating Palliative care into Basic nursing care in the home: Assessing the client and his/her needs; Pain Management; Symptom Control; Role of reporting and importance of referral.
- Dealing with Common illnesses: Vital signs; Infection control; improvisation in resource-poor settings.
- Childhood illnesses: Common Childhood illnesses; Road to Health; Prevention of mother to child transmission; Nutrition in Children and hygiene.
- Treatment Adherence: ART; TB Treatment; Adherence monitoring and support.
- Introduction to Care: Identifying personal strengths and weaknesses; spiritual care techniques.
- Cancer: Cervical cancer was a special focus.
The turn-out was good. The participants were lively and very knowledgeable and could express themselves very well in both English and isiXhosa. Certificates of Attendance were awarded on the last day of training, caregivers were pleased to receive these.