TB and HIV Training at Mariannhill
Nondumiso Jwara organised and supervised TB and HIV training for 34 caregivers at Tre Fontane, Mariannhill from 06 – 12 October 2013. In attendance were the following sites: Christ the King; Duduza Care Centre; KwaKristo Umsindisi; Noyi Bazi clinic; Sacred Heart; Scelimpilo; Siphithemba; Siyabathanda; Sizumndeni; St Nivard’s and Thandanani.
Dr Leeuw conducted the training and Samantha from FPD anchored the training.
This was a two-part training and most participants will receive two certificates if they are deemed competent on the two modules.
The first two days were dedicated to TB, covering the following:
• Knowing the Tuberculosis Bacillus
• How TB infection develops into a disease
• Tuberculosis disease (Primary TB; Post Primary TB in adults and untreated TB)
• MDR TB; XDR TB and Extra-pulmonary TB
• TB immunisation and prevention
• TB in children
• Laboratory tests and diagnosis (Chest X-ray and sputa tests)
• In-depth look into sputum collection; storage and transport
• TB medication
• TB in HIV+ people
The three days that followed were dedicated to HIV and AIDS. HIV was explored comprehensively and real-life scenarios and skits were used to explain this miniscule yet complex micro-organism.
“It is like we are back in school, doing biology” – on caregiver remarked.
The epidemiology of AIDS was also explored and unpacked a great deal. Other important topics covered comprehensively were:
• Sexually Transmitted Infections
• Support for Persons living with HIV
• HAART and treatment guidelines
• Support for people on treatment
• HIV and TB co-infection
Most of the participants completed and submitted their assignments to Samantha for grading.
“SACBC has really helped our organisation, there is no way we could have done these trainings; gardens and events as sites without SACBC’s support. We truly appreciate it” –A caregiver from Thandanani CBO.