CATHCA Conference Report
Nondumiso Jwara and Kabelo Huma of the SACBC AIDS Office attended the CATHCA Annual Conference at Good Shepherd Retreat near Haartebeespoort north of Pretoria from 31 March to 01 April 2012. CATHCA is an associate body of the SACBC and works closely with the SACBC AIDS Office.
The highlights of the conference were:
– A motivational talk by Mrs B Loate who is a social worker at Garankua hospital (near Pretoria)
– A presentation on Spirited Leadership, an ethical leadership formation by Julie Stacey from the Jesuit Institute of SA (in Johannesburg)
– An interactive session on Physiotherapy for health workers presented by Hilde van Heerden (a professional physiotherapist), which Kabelo attended whilst Nondumiso attended a session by Yvonne Morgan (CATHCA Director) called “Assessing where we are” – an organisational self-assessment.
– The CATHCA AGM & Board elections
– An address by Ramphelelane Morewane of Department of Health on Partnering with Government, in particular the plan for DoH to absorb NGO Caregivers into the mainstream of government healthcare .
– Palm Sunday Mass
– A discussion on Gender issues in Home Based Care, facilitated by Nontyantyambo Makapela of POWA (People Opposing Women Abuse)