Education for Life Workshops for Child Carer Workers
A number of Education for Life Workshops were conducted for child care workers engaged at different AIDS projects to help them look at their own lives and engage more effectively with children in their care. The SACBC youth team facilitated the workshops.
EDUCATION FOR LIFE PROGRAMME WITH CARE GIVERS OF SACBC AIDS OFFICE YOUTH DESK, SOUTH AFRICA.
A. THE NARRATIVE REPORT
The whole month of October 2014 the Education for Life run the Workshops of three Provinces namely, KWA-ZULU-NATAL; ORANGE FREE STATE and GAUTENG. Education for Life is a program that helps us to look back our attitudes and behaviors, and you can take as HIV/AIDS awareness program.
Given the diversity and unique needs within these three provinces, we experienced that all these Care Givers are dealing with Children but they need attention to get healing form the past in order to help young children. Education for Life is a program that helps people to see the negative aspects, and to do introspection so that they can welcome changes in their life and be able to help others through the process.
POSITIVE RESULTS ACHIEVED THROUGH THE WORKSHOP!
The participants were able to study the past of their family background and share bad memories. And the healing of memories helped them to accept the reality of their lifestyle.
This tree represents the family background where we started to look at our lives and have stories to tell and we shared a lot with one another. After a long sharing people see the need of Reconciliation and we started by doing a healing of memories. This was done in the Chapel.
The above picture shows us that the group was presenting and sharing the stories of their daily lives and the facilitators explaining about the change of behaviours. As they are lighting candles to forget about the past and see the present leading to a bright future.
WHAT LASTING EFFECTS CAN BE OBSERVED OR EXPECTED?
A. We need to help one another and do follow ups.
B. We need ongoing training so the Education for Life program can be a part of people’s lives.
C. We need to train parents and guardians about the programme so that they can work hand in hand with the Education for Life programme
D. Commitment to the Spiritual Journey is needed when you are a care giver and this will help people to grow both spiritually and personally.
CHALLENGES THAT ARE FACED BY CARE GIVERS IN THEIR SOCIETIES:
1. They don’t have time to reflect on their life as they always focus on the children.
2. They need to have a full training so that they can better help teens and families.
3. The issue of human trafficking among young people is real, because of unemployment.
4. Some places still have high rates of HIV infection, and people don’t have resources for entertainment.
5. Family breakdown and more abandoned children is scary.
6. Violence in the home and our young children running away from home.
7. Having insufficient knowledge to deal with children.
EVALUATION BY THE PARTICIPANTS:
1. Education for Life helps me to grow and I need this program to be carried along with us as we are working with children.
2. What I like is that it is not for the youth only, but for us as we belong to the families having many challenges.
3. I wish this program can go deeper among the families and all other stakeholders of the community; where I come from we have young people exposed to drugs and to early teenage pregnancy.
4. About the facilitators, they are good and have full knowledge of the program, we wish to have them all the time.
5. I want to thank our Coordinators for arranging this program of Education for Life. Do it again next year so that we can have better knowledge of human development.